Sunday, March 25, 2012

March 4th thru March 5th

March 4th
Riding from Gobenor Georges to Tres Lagos and Ruta 40 we are advised to take a longer but better route, more pavement and no pot holes we are told. The pavement is great, little to no traffic then it ends and we make a right turn towards Tres Lagos and Ruta 40.
It tough riding for me, the gravel is loose except the twin track in the center of the road but then that will disappear into all loose gravel. It takes all my concentration, even with that I have a minor rodeo into the ditch, up the side bank, back to the ditch were I stop to collect myself. Before I'd ride at 40, 45 now 30, 35 still with full concentration. This isn't that much fun.
I come around a gentle bend in the road and see a black box in the middle of the road. At first I don't believe it's one of Jim's panniers, then I see his bike on it's side on the left side of the road, I don't see Jim at all. Rolling up I see him laying by the bottom side of his bike not moving. Shit!
I get over to him, he moves a little, he tells me it's his ribs and shoulder, he's hurt badly. I get his helmet off and do what I can to get him comfortable.
I flag down the first approaching truck.
Without even learning the guy's name we get Jim and all his gear into the truck. We roll Jim's bike out of site. The guy shows me on the map where the nearest hospital is and says that's where we should take Jim, about a two hour drive. I can't follow, I don't have enough gas and after seeing all this I'll be riding too slow plus I'm shook up, so we agree to meet at the police station in Tres Lagos at 11:00.


I watch the truck leave and sit for a long time. I've got 30+ miles to ride in shit gravel and my friend is headed the other way to the hospital, crap. I mount up and ride slowly to Tres Lagos, solo. The trip has just taken a major turn.
I ride thru the town of about 200 and find a small Hotel the "Huentru Niyue Hostel"
Checking in I ask the owner, Oscar, for help, trying explaining what has happened. My limited Spanish is useless. His wife gets enough of it to call the hospital in Piedrabuena. She comes back saying the motorcycle rider that was hurt is OK and that the man who brought him in will be back to Tres Lagos by 11:00.
I'm trying to ask Oscar if he knows of anyone who can help me retrieve Jim's bike tomorrow and getting no where. Then I remember the IPad and the translation program, yeah. Between the IPad, Oscar and I, he will help me find someone tomorrow.
At 11:00 Jim's savior finds me, amazingly enough, he walks into the hotel as I'm walking out to try to find him, his name is Carlos.
Carlos says we can go get the bike now. It turns out Carlos is running the road construction job on the road we were on. We go to the company yard, 4 other guys show up, they grab a big flat bed and off into the night we go.
We find the bike no problem, load it up and are back in town by 2:30 in the morning with the bike unloaded at the hotel. I'm toast.
I begin contacting Max and Jim's wife Charlotte, filling them in as I could.


March 5th
I survey the BMW, a loose banjo bolt for the hydraulic line to the clutch is the only problem. I tighten up the bolt now all it needs is fluid and it's good to go.
I coordinate emails with Jim, Max and Charlotte.
I go to visit Carlos at his office, Unforgettable afternoon sitting with him and another Carlos, coffee, home made empanates, conversations, the best we could manage, laughter, there in an Atco like trailer office, wind rocking it. We talk about the wreck, Carlos says "I helped Jim, next time when I need help someone will help me," I really like this guy.
O yes, the wind blows here all the time according to both Carlos's only harder in their winter and the Internet sucks again according to both Carlos's


Carlos and Juan



I find the restaurant in town, and the bakery that opens at 9 with real coffee.
Jim and I connect, he's feeling better. Carlos has picture of him in the hospital giving a thumbs up. I'm unwinding.
Now what?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Gobenor Georges to Tres Lagos

No comments:

Post a Comment